Saturday, September 26, 2015

17 months later.....

I have not updated this in quite awhile. When I last wrote, I was going vegan , Coraline had weaned, and some of my anxiety had ceased. Since then we gave moved states to live on the beach, had another perfect baby girl, and finally got the teeth pulled in June (2015). I started this blog September 2013 when a dentist told us to pull immediately or a blood infection would kill my 2 year old. If you go back to that time you can tell how broken, depressed, angry and stressed I was. I did not sleep, I did not eat. I did not let my baby have bananas or sweet apples. I made her eat eggs in ghee and homemade yogurt that I couldn't even stomach myself. When we visited our family I had boxes full of medicines, toothpastes, homeopathic pills taking over our car. I had no joy left inside of me and even now I am struggling to get it back. I get asked for advice so often now and yet I will forever feel like a failure. Like I am not worthy to give the advice because it didn't work for us anyway. After it all I wish so much I could make that time of our life more carefree. Night after night I prayed and cried to God to heal her. I was angry at everyone around me. Embarrassed to go to playdates. Scared to give her any form of sugar what so ever. Even now at the age of 4 she is terrified of sugary stuff. In some ways it is great but in other ways it hurts so much. Is she so anxious because of me? If we did not go on this journey I would have never discovered GMOs, Weston Price, documentaries about our food and what the government is doing to it. I have made so many friends from this who went through the same thing. They are each so special to me and I could have never gone through this without them.

I am often emailed or messaged online for help with tooth decay. To be honest I do not feel like I am worthy to give advice. After all, my kid has 3 crowns and four missing teeth. When we meet other "crunchy" moms I always think how shitty they must think I am. How much sugar and crap I probably feed her. After all that did happen back in Tennessee, it's hard to let my guard down. The only advice I can give is not to repeat my mistakes. Don't over charge your credit card with a million supplements you can't afford. Yes, the fermented cod liver oil is amazing and certainly helps, but if you can't afford it it's okay! Get it another month and focus on good foods. MI paste really did help. The ingredients aren't wonderful but neither is surgery so you have to pick your battles. We use Xyliwhite toothpaste which has been great and smells wonderful. Earthpaste is good too but doesn't taste great. Xylitol mints are okay but not perfect for the gut. Coraline mostly bit hers so it wasn't even killing bacteria in her mouth. Bone broth and a good diet is key. Real whole foods. Meat, raw dairy, vegetables and fruit. They will tell you to limit fruit but in this world today we should be so grateful our children want fruit and not cheetos. Count your blessings. Allow certain foods for special occasions. It is okay. Enjoy their childhood while you can. We are still gluten free and will probably never go back. It has been an easy adjustment for us.

We made the decision to pull after Coraline bit into an apple and got an abscess. We treated it without antibiotics but it kept coming back. We spent hundreds, maybe even $1,000 on a holistic doctor and standard process supplements. I kept track of everything she ate, drank, and pooped for a month before the doctor told us he could no longer help us. I forced her to eat raw garlic and chew up disgusting tablets three times a day to help heal this. I did everything. everything. I did not want to get this surgery done. I was terrified. But even after giving her antibiotics the abscess kept coming back and she was hurting. For almost three months. It had to be done. It was probably a 30 minutes procedure. She drank an entire bottle of water then threw up three times and slept all day. She was fine the next day although upset about her teeth missing. She couldn't care less now. We see missing teeth and crowns everyday at the park, library, grocery store.

I am always here to help. I will tell you everything I know. I have read the books, blogs, forums, talked to Rami Bagel himself on his Facebook group.  I will do everything it takes to not go through this with our new baby but if we do, I have an amazing support system and all the information in the world to keep her healthy.





5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, deleted my OP because I wasn't able to edit. Here is my edit:

    Well, the baby teeth are like placeholders, aren't they? Her permanent teeth may be fine.

    Have you given her kelp? I took kelp tablets religiously through my (one) pregnancy and my son has strong teeth. He had a gap between the front teeth when he was a kid, but it closed on its own. Rami Nagel is a strong proponent of kelp powder but IMO the recommended amounts are not enough to see real results.
    With the kelp tablets, I take a small handful at a time. The powder can easily be mixed into something like soup or applesauce. I'd also recommend powdered eggshells, a half teaspoon at a time (equivalent to one eggshell), in kefir. I steep the powder in kefir for some hours, as the acidity helps with absorption. This is my bedtime snack. :) I'd also advise upping her vitamin C. I know a woman with 3 kids who moderates the Facebook group, Vitamin C For Optimal Health. She gives her kids five to 10 grams of ascorbic acid (mixed with baking soda) per day and apparently this is one of the main things that has helped their teeth. She's posted at Rami's group. Here's the link to the thread (see her posts in the comments to the original post) if you are still a member:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/curetoothdecay/search/?query=katie%20gironda

    ReplyDelete
  3. About eggshells and teeth:
    http://naturalsociety.com/the-1-weird-way-to-remineralize-teeth-and-heal-cavities/

    I'd also highly recommend this site.
    http://healingteethnaturally.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I feel like I could have written so many things on here. Is there any way I could get in contact with you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    We have five kids. The baby doesn't have his...

    But our fourth child had rotten teeth grow in! Our first child had fine teeth, but they went bad due to grinding with sleep apnea. Our other two have fine teeth.

    But I realized our fourth child must have a genetic condition. My husband and his mom both had the same condition, but grandma's parents were told it was due to antibiotics, while my husband's mom was told his was due to going to bed with a bottle.

    But those weren't the case for us. I think it's a genetic thing - especially kids so young.

    But that doesn't mean parents should "let go" of healthy choices for their kids.

    ReplyDelete