Friday, February 7, 2014

A Healthy Alternative to Mac and Cheese

I grew up on Kraft Mac-n-cheese. My husband absolutely loves the stuff. Up until I "awakened" we ate it 2-3 times a week. Ugh, I'm so ashamed. Sure, it was yummy and super easy but do you know the ingredients in that crap?!

The "cheese" is basically a cheese like product with yellow dye to make it look real. Yellow #5 and 6 to be exact. Proven to cause hyperactivity in children and adrenal tumors. 



The wheat used in these products is GMO wheat. Kraft has contributed a significant amount of money to keep GMOs from being labeled as well. What are they hiding? GMOs are altering our genetic code and causing all different types of issues worldwide. Infertility, cancer, Alzheimer's, the list is never ending. You can't mess with Mother Nature. The consequences are DIRE

So if you're an avid Kraft consumer looking for a better alternative, shell out the extra fifty cents and get Annie's. They are an AMAZING company, non gmo verified and supportive of local farmers. They also offer gluten free options which is what we had tonight. 



Okay it doesn't look that appetizing but it is by far my daughter's favorite thing in this world. Whenever she saw me bring out the box she started running around in circles shouting, "NOODLES! Oh thank you mommy!" The pasta is made with rice. So not an everyday side item but it's great for a special dinner. We have it about once or twice a month. However, I take a few extra steps to make sure it's as healthy as possible. 

1.) grassfed ground beef - adding in good quality meat makes it a great meal sure to leave our bellies extra full. I brown the meat in lard or bacon fat with garlic and sea salt. 

2.) boil the noodles in broth instead of water. I keep a pretty hefty collection of broth in our fridge at all times. Boiling the noodles in broth assures me that my daughter is getting plenty of the nutrients broth has to offer while enjoying her favorite treat. 

3.) Finely chopped kale and broccoli florets. Lately C has been refusing her broccoli so adding in the florets finely chopped assures she gets at least a little broccoli in every bite. She doesn't even notice it while she's inhaling the noodles. 

4.) after draining the noodles I add in raw milk & real butter. This way the milk doesn't get heated enough to kill beneficial bacteria. Butter is essential in the Cure Tooth Decay diet and very high in essential vitamins. I'm talking real butter, make from cream of cows. Not that vegetable oil Country Crock crap. To make it even healthier try using raw milk kefir! 

I mixed it all up and topped with shredded raw cheese. Made enough for Coraline and I for dinner tonight and tomorrow night (my husband works super late on the weekends). When I handed her the plate and asked, "is it good?" She shook her head yes and said, "I happy mommy!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment